Posted : Thursday 13 June, 2002
Diddy Kong Racing Review

I started writing articles and whatnot after inspiration from such sites as bigmeats and people like E-Reverend. These people have some of the best humor i have seen thus far on the internet as far as writing goes. So after much deliberation, i have decided to write an article, that article is my review of the game Diddy Kong Racing for the N64. so without further ado, here it be, my very first post.

History of Diddy Kong

Diddy Kong after co-starring in 1 game and starring in 2 of his own has gotten a Nintendo 64 game. This is a pretty big thing some people might think, and i'll give Diddy Kong that. This wasn't an original game on some levels per say, but on others it was. It wasn't the first racing game for the N64, but it had multiple types of vehicles to choose from, and it also had boss races. These were some of the most challenging and fun races on the game.

It also had a veritible ton of racers to choose from, as well as hidden racers. It also had cheat codes, which may be considered a game ruiner by some, but to others like me they were pretty helpful if you got frustrated.

Here's the box shot, looks like good art.

I first remember this game sometime around 1998. when i rented it i thought, this is just gonna be a copy of Mario Kart Racing. But when i saw all the different vehicles you could drive, i went crazy with excitement, i was around 13 years old. This was both a good and bad time for me, i was going through that stupid stage in life where you hate your parents and everyone else, but it was also a good time in my life, the N64 had great games such as Goldeneye 007, and StarFox 64. But anyways, back to the game. This game must have been made by Jesus himself, cause this was a king among games.

The Characters

Some of the characters on Diddy Kong Racing were original characters that wouldn't go on to any other games, but two of them went on to games of their own. I'm talking about Banjo from Banjo/Kazooie which is another winner brought to you by Rare™, and Conker from Conker's Bad Fur Day, one of the last N64 games, which was a way of the N64 part of Rare to go out with a bang. The other characters included: a tortoise, a badger, a mouse, a rooster, a tiger and some other non-important characters.

I've moved on to greater systems now, including the Playstation 2 and Dreamcast, but whenever i go back to the N64 its always for DKR or Goldeneye 007. Sure, after a while then the DKR might lose its replay value, but until then, i likes it. It is a solid game with a good gaming structure, it might not of been one of the top selling N64 games, but it was fun nonetheless.

Destroy all who stand in the way.

overall rating:

• Sound: 7
  • Gameplay: 8
  • Control: 8
  • Overall rating: 7.5

Now i will be generous and supply some codes for the game. I don't know how many people still have this game, but if you do, these codes will be of some or none assistance in your gaming adventures. Be awe-stricken and die a fiery death in the bowels of Disneyland.

• TOXICOFFENDER - All balloons are green
  • FREEFRUIT - Start with 10 bananas
  • DOUBLEVISION - Two players can use the same character
  • BODYARMOR - All balloons are yellow
  • BOMBSAWAY - All balloons are red
  • ROCKETFUEL - All balloons are blue
  • OPPOSITESATTRACT - All balloons are rainbows
  • NOYELLOWSTUFF - No bananas in multiplayer mode
  • BYEBYEBALLOONS - Computer can't use weapons
  • JOINTVENTURE - Two-player Adventure
  • TIMETOLOSE - Computer is better
  • BLABBERMOUTH - Changes horn sounds
  • BOGUSBANANAS - Bananas slow you down
  • VITAMINB - Unlimited bananas
  • ZAPTHEZIPPERS - No zippers
  • FREEFORALL - Fully powered-up balloons
  • JUKEBOX - Adds Music Test to audio menu
  • ARNOLD - Large players
  • TEENYWEENIES - Small players
  • OFFROAD - Four wheel drive
  • WHODIDTHIS - See Credits <-- why would you want this?

This has been the first in what could be many articles by me, I hope there will be more. And they better have better humor in them.

-James "petersonhank" Rivera

email: petersonhank
    AIM:petersonhank